How I Edit My Photos

Hi Everyone!

As you can probably notice, I do love to take photos. I love to have at least one photo in every blog post I make as well as posting photos on my social media. Lots of you lovely people have said how much you like my photos and have asked how I take them, therefore today I thought I would show you all. I am no means of an expert, I have no fancy equipment, no high end photography apps or any experience in taking photos. I just think, overtime with blogging, you have an eye for what looks good, I still have a long way to go with my photos. But I thought I would share how I take and edit my photos!

Currently, the ‘theme’ of photos for my blog and Instagram are simple, white and clean. I really like this as I find its quite effective and pleasing to look at. Its nice and easy to take photos of objects, however sometimes it is quite difficult to fins white backgrounds if you are taking full length photos of yourself- but I manage!

THE PHOTO TAKER

unnamed-54.jpg

As I mentioned, I have no fancy camera equipment. I just use the camera on my Iphone5S. This camera is really good, it focuses very well and you can adjust the lighting. If you take photos on your phone, I suggest you look up all the features and how it works to make your photos as good as possible!

THE SETTING

unnamed-53.jpg

When I take a photo, I have to have the background ready. I have this large, white insert thats actually meant to be part of my wardrobe, but came off! Its crazy how something so random will work with your photos. If you don’t have a background you want, you could buy some card with the pattern you want or a slab of the material. I also use this white throw from Primark which I think really makes the background look less two dimensional. I place these on the floor, in front of my window to let natural light hit it. Always use natural light-its always the best to use with photos!

POSITIONING

I next find the things i want to take photos of, it may be some makeup items, flowers, food-pretty much anything. I then hold my phone up and position how I would take the photo. I then arrange the objects how I like and what I think looks best when looking at the screen of my phone. It does sometimes take a while to get the perfect photo. A lot of rearranging goes on, but its worth it in the end. As you can see below, these six makeup items can be positioned in so many ways!

unnamed-56unnamed-55unnamed-57

EDITING

I do all my editing on Instagram. I never used any of the editing tools- only the filters. But now, I couldn’t live without them! To make my photos look whiter and brighter, I will increase the highlights and the brightness. If this makes the items look a bit faded, I will increase the saturation ever so slightly so the picture isn’t too yellow. I will then change the shadows and contrast of the photo. Sometimes I will increase them and other times I will decrease them- to all depends on the photo. When I have finished editing the photo on Instagram, I will screenshot them and crop them in my photo album!

unnamed-58

Original Image

unnamed-59

Brightness and Highlights Increased

unnamed-60

Contrast and Shadows Increased

unnamed-61

Cropping the photo

unnamed-57

Final Image!

So that is how I edit my Instagram and blog photos! I am really enjoying having a clean, fresh and white theme, but I may be changing it up in the future depending on seasons and things like that! Do no feel like you have to stick to one certain style or theme of photography- its meant to be pleasing to you so make it your own!

I hope this step by step guide has helped you all and you enjoyed reading it as I know a lot of you were interested in my photos! Comment how you edit your photos and if there are any apps you use that you couldn’t live without when editing your photos!

I N S T A G R A M | T W I T T E R | L A S T P O S T

1. July 16, 2016 / 5:34 pm

your photos are always so great, this was honestly super helpful because I always thought you used a fancy camera or something but you use the same thing I do, an iPhone 5s. totally using these tricks!

• July 16, 2016 / 8:35 pm

Thank you so much! I think it shows our phones can take amazing photos if we just work out certain ways to edit them! So glad this has helped! 🙂

2. July 16, 2016 / 7:16 pm

This post was so helpful and detailed! Your photographs are beautiful xx

3. July 16, 2016 / 8:56 pm

I also put the contrast and brightness up. My photos never come up as good as yours though! Love your background😍😍 Loved this post xx

• July 17, 2016 / 12:24 pm

Awh thank you so much!! But I love your photos on your instagram so much, they are so pretty! xx

4. July 17, 2016 / 9:52 am

I never thought of using something for a background, I usually just use my windowsill as it gets the most natural light. This post was so helpful, thanks 🙂 xx

• July 17, 2016 / 12:26 pm

I’m so glad I could help! When I started blogging I actually used a bed sheet because my windowsill wasn’t wide enough- having a blanket or something just makes it a lot easier for me! 🙂 xx

5. July 17, 2016 / 10:39 pm

Thank You!! Literally amazing post … I was a little surprised when I found out that you use an iPhone 5s! It’s really cool that you show people they don’t have to buy a really expensive DSLR camera to take really good looking blog photos ..

Also the one website I use to edit my photos is “picmonkey”

• July 19, 2016 / 12:05 pm

Thank you, and I know! The amount of time it takes to arrange some items perfectly is a lot longer than most people think haha! xx

6. July 19, 2016 / 11:40 am

I never have time to edit my photos very much XD
    But i’ll usually use aviary as it gives me a lot of control over how I want the image to look, or I’ll sometimes use some of the instagram filters
    Nice post! Your photos always look so professional and polished, it’s amazing how good phone cameras are now =)

• July 19, 2016 / 12:08 pm

Thank you so much! I used to look at all the professional photos on other blogs thinking I would have to get a proper camera the day my blog starts to kick off, but I cant believe how good my camera phone is, it shows you d0n’t need all that fancy equipment to get a good picture! 🙂

• July 19, 2016 / 12:40 pm

I always used to think that too, I still kinda want to get a DSLR camera though but I’ll be saving up for AGES 😂😂

7. July 19, 2016 / 1:15 pm

Your photos always look so great! I wish I had a better phone, otherwise I’d take all my blog photos on it instead of my real camera (bc it’s such a pain – import into laptop from SD card, send to iPod, edit, then send back to laptop to put into blog post *sighs*) My least favourite is arranging makeup products bc I swear the cylindrical items ALWAYS ROLL AWAY FROM ME AND DON’T FACE UP. *struggles* XD